Douay Bible - Genesis Chapter 40

Genesis 40:1
After this, it came to pass, that two eunuchs, the butler and the baker of the king of Egypt, offended their lord.

Genesis 40:2
And Pharao being angry with them (now the one was chief butler, the other chief baker)

Genesis 40:3
He sent them to the prison of the commander of the soldiers, in which Joseph also was prisoner,

Genesis 40:4
But the keeper of the prison delivered them to Joseph, and he served them. Some little time passed, and they were kept in custody.

Genesis 40:5
And they both dreamed a dream the same night, according to the interpretation agreeing to themselves:

Genesis 40:6
And when Joseph was come in to them in the morning, and saw them sad,

Genesis 40:7
He asked them, saying: Why is your oountenance sadder to day than usual?

Genesis 40:8
They answered: We have dreamed a dream, and there is nobody to interpret it to us. And Joseph said to them: Both not interpretation belong to God? Tell me what you have dreamed.

Genesis 40:9
The chief butler first told his dream: I saw before me a vine,

Genesis 40:10
On which were three branches, which by little and little sent out buds, and after the blossoms brought forth ripe grapes :

Genesis 40:11
And the cup of Pharao was in my hand: and I took the grapes, and pressed them into the cup which I held, and I gave the cup to Pharao.

Genesis 40:12
Joseph answered: This is the interpretation of the dream: The three branches are yet three days:

Genesis 40:13
After which Pharao will remember thy service, and will restore thee to thy former place: and thou shah present him the cup according to thy office, as before thou wast wont to do.

Genesis 40:14
Only remember me, when it shall be well with thee, and do me this kindness: to put Pharao in mind to take me out of this prison:

Genesis 40:15
For I was stolen away out of the land I of the Hebrews, and here without any fault was cast into the dungeon.

Genesis 40:16
The chief baker seeing that he had wisely interpreted the dream, said: I also dreamed a dream, That I bed three baskets of meal upon my heed:

Genesis 40:17
And that in one basket which was uppermost, I carried all meats that are made by the art of baking, and that the birds ate out of it.

Genesis 40:18
Joseph answered: This is the interpretation of the dream: The three baskets are yet three days:

Genesis 40:19
After which Pharao will take thy hand from thee, and hang thee on a cross, and the birds shall tear thy flesh.

Genesis 40:20
The third day after this was the birthday of Pharao: and he made a. great feast for his servants, and at the banquet remembered the chief butler, and the chief baker.

Genesis 40:21
And he restored the one to his place to present him the cup:

Genesis 40:22
The other he hanged on a gibbet, that the truth of the interpreter might be shewn.

Genesis 40:23
But the chief butler, when things prospered with him, forgot his interpreter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Douay Bible - Jeremiah Chapter 26

Douay Bible - Proverbs Chapter 12

Douay Bible - Judith Chapter 11