Douay Bible - John Chapter 7

John 7:1
AFTER these things Jesus walked in Galilee; for he would not walk in Judea, because the Jews sought to kill him.

John 7:2
Now the Jews’ feast of tabernacles was at hand.

John 7:3
And his brethren said to him: Pass from hence, and go into Judea; that thy disciples also may see thy works which thou dost.

John 7:4
For there is no man that doth any thing in secret, and he himself seeketh to be known openly. If thou do these things, manifest thyself to the world.

John 7:5
For neither did his brethren believe in him.

John 7:6
Then Jesus said to them: My time is not yet come; but your time is always ready.

John 7:7
The world cannot hate you; but me it hateth: because I give testimony of it, that the works thereof are evil.

John 7:8
Go you up to this festival day, but I go not up to this festival day: because my time is not accomplished.

John 7:9
When he had said these things, he himself stayed in Galilee.

John 7:10
But after his brethren were gone up, then he also went up to the feast, not openly, but, as it were, in secret.

John 7:11
The Jews therefore sought him on the festival day, and said: Where is he?

John 7:12
And there was much murmuring among the multitude concerning him. For some said: He is a good man. And others said: No, but he seduceth the people.

John 7:13
Yet no man spoke openly of him, for fear of the Jews.

John 7:14
Now about the midst of the feast, Jesus went up into the temple, and taught.

John 7:15
And the Jews wondered, saying: How doth this man know letters, having never learned?

John 7:16
Jesus answered them, and said: My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.

John 7:17
If any man do the will of him; he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

John 7:18
He that speaketh of himself, seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh the glory of him that sent him, he is true, and there is no injustice in him.

John 7:19
Did Moses not give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law?

John 7:20
Why seek you to kill me? The multitude answered, and said: Thou hast a devil; who seeketh to kill thee?

John 7:21
Jesus answered, and said to them: One work I have done; and you all wonder:

John 7:22
Therefore, Moses gave you circumcision (not because it is of Moses, but of the fathers;) and on the sabbath day you circumcise a man.

John 7:23
If a man receive circumcision on the sabbath day, that the law of Moses may not be broken; are you angry at me because I have healed the whole man on the sabbath day?

John 7:24
Judge not according to the appearance, but judge just judgment.

John 7:25
Some therefore of Jerusalem said: Is not this he whom they seek to kill?

John 7:26
And behold, he speaketh openly, and they say nothing to him. Have the rulers known for a truth, that this is the Christ?

John 7:27
But we know this man, whence he is: but when the Christ cometh, no man knoweth whence he is.

John 7:28
Jesus therefore cried out in the temple, teaching, and saying: You both know me, and you know whence I am: and I am not come of myself; but he that sent me, is true, whom you know not.

John 7:29
I know him, because I am from him, and he hath sent me.

John 7:30
They sought therefore to apprehend him: and no man laid hands on him, because his hour was not yet come.

John 7:31
But of the people many believed in him, and said: When the Christ cometh, shall he do more miracles, than these which this man doth?

John 7:32
The pharisees heard the people murmuring these things concerning him: and the rulers and Pharisees sent ministers to apprehend him.

John 7:33
Jesus therefore said to them: Yet a little while I am with you: and then I go to him that sent me.

John 7:34
You shall seek me, and shall not find me: and where I am, thither you cannot come.

John 7:35
The Jews therefore said among themselves: Whither will he go, that we shall not find him? will he go unto the dispersed among the Gentiles, and teach the Gentiles?

John 7:36
What is this saying that he hath said: You shall seek me, and shall not find me; and where I am, you cannot come?

John 7:37
And on the last, and great day of the festivity, Jesus stood and cried, saying: If any man thirst, let him come to me, and drink.

John 7:38
He that believeth in me, as the scripture saith, Out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

John 7:39
Now this he said of the spirit which they should receive, who believed in him: for as yet the Spirit was not given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

John 7:40
Of that multitude therefore, when they had heard these words of his, some said: This is the prophet indeed.

John 7:41
Others said: This is the Christ. But some said: Doth the Christ come out of Galilee?

John 7:42
Doth not the scripture say: That Christ cometh of the seed of David, and from Bethlehem the town where David was?

John 7:43
So there arose a dissension among the people because of him.

John 7:44
And some of them would have apprehended him: but no man laid hands on him.

John 7:45
The ministers therefore came to the chief priests and the Pharisees. And they said to them: Why have you not brought him?

John 7:46
The ministers answered: Never did man speak like this man.

John 7:47
The Pharisees therefore answered them: Are you also seduced?

John 7:48
Hath any one of the rulers believed in him, or of the Pharisees?

John 7:49
But this multitude, that knoweth not the law, are accursed.

John 7:50
Nicodemus said to them, (he that came to him by night, who was one of them:)

John 7:51
Doth our law judge any man, unless it first hear him, and know what he doth?

John 7:52
They answered, and said to him: Art thou also a Galilean? search the scriptures, and see, that out of galilee a prophet riseth not.

John 7:53
And every man returned to his own house.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Douay Bible - Jeremiah Chapter 26

Douay Bible - Proverbs Chapter 12

Douay Bible - Judith Chapter 11